Did You Know:
● 90% of school children wear backpacks daily
● The weight of these backpacks is of growing concern for teachers and doctors everywhere
● Some childrens’ backpacks weigh up to 46% of their body weight
● Recommendations are that backpacks weigh no more than 15% of child’s weight
● These heavy backpacks may be contributing to back pain in school aged children
What Should You Do?
- Select a backpack with a padded back. Padded backs enhance comfort, and reduce pressure on your child’s back.
- Only pack what is necessary. It is understandable to want ensure your child has everything they may need, but try to only pack what is absolutely necessary and leave the heavier items at home.
- Two strap it. Studies have shown that back pain increases when it is worn with one strap rather than two. Bonus points if the straps are padded!
- Load heavy items closest to the body. This decreases the stress of the bag on your child’s shoulders.
- Reduce time the backpack is worn. Not only is the weight of the backpack important, but the duration of time the bag is worn as well. Do your best to limit this in order to prevent back pain.
Email [email protected] if you have any questions.